Put your competencies to build India’s first liberal professional university
Join us on a journey of institution building, creativity and discovery as Vijaybhoomi embarks on a journey of unparalleled growth. The University offers you limitless opportunities for professional enrichment and personal fulfilment. As a liberal professional university, with a unique portfolio of degree programs, we also offer exceptional academic and non-academic careers.
If you do not find a suitable open position, please email your CV to email@example.com .
We will include your CV in our profile bank and will revert as soon as a suitable opportunity, fitting your competencies, arises.
SCIENCE LAB ASSISTANT
Reporting to the Head and under the direction of the School Science Department Head, the School Science Lab Assistant performs a variety of tasks related to the support of chemistry, biology and physics labs in both junior and senior science classes. As a member of the education team, the Assistant must be vigilant in monitoring student safety and be prepared to address safety emergencies including the cleanup of hazardous spills of materials, such as mercury and acids and bases. The Assistant aids the teacher(s) by preparing accurate concentrations of chemicals to make solutions. The working conditions require that this position must be able to handle gases such as helium, hydrogen and oxygen and have the ability to work under a fume hood.
Educational Qualification : Degree / Diploma / Certificate
Preferred Additional Qualifications :
- Workplace Hazardous Material Identification System Training
- Emergency First Aid Course
Technical Requirements : Minimum of two years of specific experience
Interested candidates meeting the qualifying criteria may apply/forward their latest resume firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sets up equipment, chemicals and supplies for chemistry, physics and biology labs at the junior and senior level under the teacher’s guidance
- Prepares molar solutions of acids by diluting concentrated solutions; Calculates relative volumes of concentrated acid and water
- Calculates required mass and prepares standard solutions of salt and bases
- Ensures safe work environment by complying with WHMIS regulations for handling hazardous materials, and follows CRD waste regulations and proper procedures in the disposal of chemicals
- Cleans up hazardous spills, such as mercury and acids and bases and administers first aid related to chemical accidents as required
- Maintains Fischer Chemical Storage standards
- Prepares buffer solutions of a given pH and calibrates the pH meter and prepares chemical indicator and biological stain solutions using appropriate quantities of reagents
- Performs titrations to verify the concentration of standardized solutions
- Maintains and repairs lab equipment such as electroscopes and ray boxes
- Properly sterilizes equipment and cleans glassware using the appropriate solvents
- Maintains set of reagents for specific lab activities
- Assists teachers in the marking of objective student work
- Assists teachers in supervising activities, such as field trips
- Overseas the inventory of lab equipment and chemical supplies including ordering and handling the required chemicals and gases such as helium, hydrogen and oxygen, under the direction of the Department Head; maintains the inventory spreadsheet for budget purposes
- Submit requirements such as text books and other equipment through the Department Head to the Principal
- Lifts and moves items such as supplies and equipment up to 18kg (40 lbs)
- Performs other assigned comparable or transient duties, which are within the area of knowledge and skills required by this job description
- Assisting students for setting up experiments in consultation with the instructors
- Performing technical duties related to the laboratory activities, including giving technical assistance
- Giving assistance regarding laboratory procedures, location and use of materials, and the operation of equipment.
- Setting up and dismantling of apparatus and equipment for demonstration and practical lessons, as requested and detailed by teaching staff.
- Checking individual components in and out of laboratories after each lesson for damage and quantity.
- Repairing minor damage to apparatus or arranging for repairs of a more extensive nature.
- Constructing simple experiments.
- Contributes to a safe environment in the laboratories by keeping safety regulations, explaining safety procedures to individuals using the laboratories.
- Up-dating the general stock record system of the laboratory.
- Ensuring that all equipment is kept maintained and serviceable.
- Other straightforward tasks, not listed here, which occasionally may be required for the efficient running of the laboratory.